Wednesday 27 February 2008

It's 'Hump Day' as some call it. No, this is not an opportunity to fornicate with anyone you meet; simply the middle day of the week. I'm afraid it's all downhill from here.

As I'm sitting here, in the green hell of my student housing, (My idea of Hell = eating, sleeping, working, brushing your teeth, all in the same place!) I find myself in the age-old predicament of procrastinating. It's not even as if I have to find some obscure quote on Modernism from the 1930's, or anything...Yet...but still, even writing poetry for my journal is taking a back seat to listening to my iTunes playlist. How is it that the songs you find yourself connecting with the most, are all stories of sadness and despair. How come you never connect with a song like Dragostea Din Tea? (Now, I'm not saying I don't love that song; because I do, (immensely) I simply mean that I have no emotional attachment to it. In the words of that Knight of the Realm, Sir Elton John, Sad Songs (Say So Much). Too much, in some cases. I've not had this computer long, but there are certainly some songs which get played a lot more regularly than others. These, for example, are the top 10 songs on my beloved iTunes:
  1. Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own
  2. Christina Aguilera - Fighter
  3. Katey Sagal - Daddy's Girl
  4. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
  5. Kate Nash - Foundations
  6. Meat Loaf - Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad
  7. Amy Winehouse - Wake Up Alone
  8. Johnny Cash - Hurt
  9. Katey Sagal - Life Goes Around
  10. Kelly Clarkson - Because Of You

It may not be a particularly 'high brow' list of music, but each and every one of these songs means something extremely special to me, or at least induces some level of poignancy within me. There aren't enough hours in the day to explain why, but I think that the above choices make my point quite clear. (Although I'm not actually sure whether or not I have a point...) As I'm writing this, Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls has just started playing...And, in fact, I think THAT makes my point.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Cool blog, keep writing it, what you got in mind to put up?